Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Barack Obama


The Inaugural Address

It's different to actually read the speech as opposed to just hearing it. Kind of like reading the book then watching the movie I suppose. I missed the speech on TV so I decided to read the first few lines to see what kind of sugar coated words the President's speech writers put in front of his face.

Yes, yes, that may seem a bit pessimistic, but isn't that the way it usually goes? Words, words, words. They don't mean a thing. (Is that a song?) Well, after the first few lines, I was hooked. I read all four web pages of the speech and even got some strange moisture in my eyes a couple of times. (Damn, those writers are good!)

Huh well, as I read it, I imagined President Obama speaking those words and putting true feelings behind them. I could see him in my mind and I could feel the power of his voice. The words flowed through my mind and body and subsequently drowned my governmental pessimism with renewed hope for the future.

I was actually excited and motivated! All the while thinking, "I hope they do it, I hope they do it, I hope WE do it. Let's make a change for the better! Can we?"

So my question is: Will the government use that speech as a general outline to construct specific goals for our country and implement those new ideas to better our nation and the world? Or will the Inaugural Address remain only sugar coated words, written by very good speech writers, forgotten in the back of some history book?"

No comments: