Friday, January 30, 2009

Back to the races!

I have always done 12 to 24 hour mountain bike races either SOLO or with one guy. But this time I joined a great group of gals for the 12 hours of Temecula.

Monique, Melissa, Bern, Tiffany

It's usually a lot of pressure to ride duo with a guy because he rides so fast and he expects so much out of me. Not to mention, I put a lot of pressure on myself during my solo races to finish a certain number of laps and compete with the top women. But I must say, it's a totally different experience to ride "just for fun" with a bunch of nice women. I had a great time and I remembered why I love mountain biking so much.

Jason and Heather put on another great race! This was the first time they left out the infamous "Dam Climb" and it made for a very "flowy" race course. Had I have been in shape, I would have ridden my single speed Niner. But alas, I stuck to the gears and had an incredible time.


Although I found the course to be super "flowy," it was quite technical with lots of ruts, rocks, and steep drops. There were several places were they posted "Caution" signs and there certainly could have been more of those signs all over the course. :)


Unfortunately Melissa took a nasty spill. She was scratched up and bruised pretty badly. They thought she may have had a separated shoulder so she was carted away in the ambulance. Turned out it was nothing major and she's fine. The very next day she was asking us when we could race again. Tough girl! That's why I love her!

And I must give props to the best support crew in the world. Carl and King Rich are always there for me for assistance and mental support. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats on the baby! Big news for us too. My wife Cathleen and myself are expecting in August.
Good luck with your return to racing! Sorry I've been out of touch, I felt used and abused by bike shops and have been lame.