Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I love multi-sport!!!

Cal Multi Sport Vail Lake

The feeling of completing one discipline after another is so utterly satisfying to me.



We started with a quick 1.8 mile bike ride to the kayak section. Although it had been over 2 years since I'd paddled, I was confident I could make it around the lake. I dropped my bike and quickly put on my PFD and hopped in the boat. Bike shoes, helmet and bike gloves still on, I started paddling. I was doing well until about 15 minutes into it when I started to wonder how big Vail Lake really was. I put my head down and just concentrated on using my core and couldn't wait to switch disciplines. 7.5 km later, I was done and so were my shoulders!


I had been passed by a few folks who had faster boats than mine. Notice I didn't say they were better paddlers. Yup,,,I just told myself they had faster boats. But I caught them in transition and swooped right passed. I had made it a point to transition as quickly as I could so that I wouldn't waste any unnecessary time especially since I knew my actual racing would be slow.



I rode back through the starting gate and on to the 15 km MTB course. Since I had raced the 12 hours of Temecula at Vail Lake many times, I was very familiar with the entire bike course and it was super fun. In fact, I was having so much fun that I totally missed a turn sign and ended up having to back track to get back on course.



My transition from bike to run was super fast also. The TA attendant said I was in and out of there in 20 seconds. Not bad for a gal who hasn't adventure raced in a couple of years.


I took off on the run section which I affectionately call a "trot" section. I trotted over and around the trees, through some trickling water and then through a thigh high creek. But after the first 20 minutes, the fun was over. I hiked up the dam climb and remembered why I prefer to be on my bike. I lost some time on the run (trot) but surprisingly no other ladies caught me and I ended up finishing in 5th place.


It took me 3 hours and 30 minutes to complete the course and I was TIRED! But it was so fun and I can't wait to get in better shape and do it again!




No comments: