Thursday, May 22, 2008

People like the show!


The Alaska Experiment seems to be really popular. Lots of folks watching (over 2 million per episode) and lots of blogs going on. They even aired The Alaska Experiment marathon last week in response to the great demand! The official Discovery blog about the show is here. The website should have our video and written journals up soon.

Discovery is so pleased with the show that we've been doing follow up interviews and filming. There are three more new episodes left to air on Tuesday nights so keep tuning in!

The Alaska Experiment previous episodes can be seen on-line at video.discovery.com. The show is also going to start airing in the UK on May 26. It will be cool for some of my foreign friends to watch. Here's more info.

Some folks are wondering why we did it:
Was it to be on TV and get our 15 minutes of fame?... Well, I can honestly say that we actually wished we could have done it all without the cameras. But it has been great to have our families and friends take a look at what we learned while living in that wonderful land.
Was it for the money?...NO, there was no money, no new car, no million dollar prize at the end. For us the reward was an incredible outdoor experience of a lifetime that we got to share together.
Was it for the challenge?...Sure. We all get so comfortable living in this "world of conveniences" that we thought we'd put ourselves out there and find out if we could survive without running water, electricity, television, internet, and all the things we take for granted in the modern world.
Was it to get closer to each other?...Yes. Even though we've been married for 12 years, it's amazing how much more we learned about each other when we relied on each other for survival. The lack of outside distractions allowed us the chance to really communicate and understand each other's feelings so much deeper than ever before.

Whew! Anyhow, yes it was an incredible experience that we will remember for the rest of our lives. And we hope that it will inspire others to REALLY get away from the madness of the lifestyles we have created in our fast paced lives. Take a break from work, from TV, from internet, from telephones, and enjoy the environment in which you live no matter where you are. Maybe not for 3 months, but for 3 days or at least 3 hours.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! I was doing a search for info about the show, and can't believe I found your blog! We have been watching it every week! I am totally in love with Alaska, and sooo admire you all for doing what you did! And to find out you are going to be a mommy! Congratulations from the Commonwealth of Virginia! I look forward to hearing more about the treasure that is hidden up north!
*hugs*
Michele

Dave Harris said...

Awesome! I didn't know you could see it online - that's infinitely easier for those of us living under a rock.

While out of town a couple weeks back I did see an episode in a hotel. You & Greg were obviously having a good time finding water while the other groups suffered the conditions both internal and external..

Anonymous said...

That is good to hear from one who has done it!
Props to all MOMS!
Especially ones who have to deal with the hot summer of California while preggers! Good luck to you on that one...did it with 2 of mine due in July, but I'm sure Virginia is nothing like a summer in CA!

Adam said...

I saw you wearing an Ibex sweater on the show this past week and was really excited to see someone testing their products on the show. I know my Ibex gear has always kept me warm. Nice work with the product placement!!

Anonymous said...

Bernice-

I'm a huge fan of the show...came across your blog while reading misc. AE info. I have a rather interesting take on the Alaska Experiment...as I happen to live in AK! I moved here about six months ago...after living for the previous 28 years in Texas! Quite the change...but I love it and sometimes feel like I've been here forever. I hope that you and your husband enjoyed your time here. Congrats on the addition to your family!

Davita

Bernice said...

Adam,

Yes, I absolutely love Ibex clothing too! Even though the show gave us a few items to wear (other brands), I made sure to have my favorite Ibex pieces there so that I knew I'd be warm and cozy. :)

Bernice said...

Davita,

I'm so glad you like the show (especially since you know what it's like to live in AK). Interesting..., I'm from Texas! Born & raised just south of Austin/just north of San Antonio...called New Braunfels. So AK was definitely a change for me too! :)
Thanks for watching!

Anonymous said...

Bernice-

A lot of people up here really like the show. Although not ALL of Alaska is that remote...people may not realize that much of Alaska is still very cut off from "civilization". I live in the city...but I still make the time to get out pretty often. I cannot imagine 90 days though...

Davita

Anonymous said...

Just finished the last episode. CONGRATS ON COMPLETING YOUR ADVENTURE!! (congrats on the kid too)

As fellow SoCalers who were vacationing in Alaska last September, the wife and I share your enthusiasm for that great region.

We have a million questions and hope some of them get answered in subsequent (added) shows.